In the words of Michael Jackson: mama se mama sa ma ma coo sa! That’s how moon-walkingly-amazing this treat is!
Dudes, so, for the longest time I’ve wanted to make a parfait with pretzels in it, you know, ’cause we all need a bit of crunchy salty goodness in our lives – and this is it! This flavour combo of creamy hazelnuts with a touch of cocoa, and the juicy tartness of fresh strawberries is way too good! It will definitely have you doing a bunch of crotch-grabbin’ moves all over the kitchen.
The whole thing takes about 40 min to make and it’s dairy and wheat FREE! Muaah ha haa.
Let’s make it!
FULL RECIPE AFTER THE JUMP
Hazelnut Mousse Pretzel Strawberry Parfaits
– 2 cans full fat coconut milk chilled in the fridge overnight
– 1/4 cup hazelnut butter
– 1 tablespoon dutch cocoa
– 1 tablespoon agave syrup
– 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
– 1 cup gluten-free pretzels – mine were also dairy free (if you ain’t a diva like us, just use regular ones)
– A bunch of fresh strawberries, cleaned, and cut in quarters
– Optional: crushed hazelnuts to top
4 jars, a pipping bag (if ya feel fancy), a few spoons.
Play a few good tunes, including PYT by MJ, and let’s get this done.
1: Open your overnight-chilled cans of coconut milk (don’t shake them!) and carefully scoop the top solid layer in a bowl. You can discard the leftover liquid or you can use it in your smoothies.
2: Add the agave syrup, hazelnut butter, vanilla, and cocoa to the coconut milk solids and whisk until smooth and fluffy (about 5 min). Place in the fridge for a few minutes.
TIP: Stop whisking when it looks like buttercream – if for some reason it looks like it “splits” just let the mix warm up a bit at room temp and whisk again.
3: While the hazelnut mousse cools down, crush the pretzels using a food processor or whack them by hand until they have a coarse meal consistency. Set aside.
4: Place chilled hazelnut mousse mix in a pipping bag (you can skip this step and use a spoon instead, but seriously, why wouldn’t you pipe it?!).
Using a jar, start layering your ingredients: first a thin layer of crushed pretzels, then scoop or pipe some hazelnut mousse, add strawberries on top, and repeat until you fill the glass. Top with crushed hazelnuts for an extra nutty touch. Serve and eat right away!
And that’s it! This chilled bad boy is gonna be one of your summer faves *CROTCH GRAB AND SPIN*
– Don’t let the parfaits sit at room temp for too long or the mousse will not be mousse-y (will still taste awesome though).
– I would avoid assembling them too far in advance as the pretzels may get soggy. A few hours in the fridge is ok.
– You can substitute the hazelnut butter for any other nut butter.
Photos and Styling: Artful Desperado