Oh dear dear. It seems this blog cannot let go of chocolate. Well, more like, I CANNOT let go of chocolate! Maybe I need an intervention!? Perhaps I need to go to Oprah so she mentors me to overcome this dark addiction once and for all…FUCK THAT! Chocolate is forever, like diamonds, but way cheaper.
Last week I was a bit stressed out so I required an extra punch of bazinga! in my diet. Cue: a shitload of dark chocolate with a hint of ginger and cayenne, paired up with some sweet ass vanilla ice cream, topped with a sprinkle of sea salt. It’s almost as if Barry White were whispering in your ear “let’s get it on”….And you totally should! Seriously, these sandwiches are like a meal. But better and healthier (shut up).
Grab your measuring cups, spoons, and sexy apron and let’s get diiirrrty:
Salted Chocolate Diablo Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches
Makes around 8 sandwiches
This recipe for diablo cookies was originally created by TacoFino, a super awesome food truck that was born right here in our beautiful Canadian West Coast.
-1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
-1 cup cocoa powder
-1 tsp baking soda
-1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
-1 tsp cinnamon
-1 cup dark chocolate chunks
-2 large eggs
-1 cup brown sugar
-1 cup granulated sugar
-1/2 cup canola oil
-3 tbsp freshly grated ginger
-1 tbsp vanilla
-GOOD Vanilla ice cream of your choice (don’t get shitty stuff)
1. Preheat the oven at 375F.
2. Sift flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, cayenne and cinnamon in a large bowl and stir in chocolate chunks.
3. In another bowl, whisk the eggs and add both sugars, oil, grated ginger, and vanilla and gently mix. Slowly add this wet mix to the dry one (flour cocoa mixture) until you form the cookie dough. NOTE: It may seem a bit dry, but not to worry it’ll get moist.
4. Form small dough balls (size of a golf ball-ish) and place them onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or silicon pad. Press them down a little and sprinkle a bit of sea salt. *TIP: if you use your hands, make sure to have a little bowl of water near by to wet your fingers so it’s easy to handle the dough.
5. Bake cookies for about 10-13 minutes until they start to crack. Center should be fudgy so don’t over bake!
Once your cookies have cooled down. Grab yer bucket of glorious ice cream and place a generous scoop on top of a cookie, top with another cookie and gently press down. Don’t forget to call your friends to tell them you are going on a sex vacation and you won’t be back ’til later. They can join you if you want, after all, you’ll have 8 of these dark chocolate hunks!
Now stop salivating like a rabid dog and go make some!
PS. Photographing ice cream sandwiches is hard! You can see some of those fuckers melting in the back haha. Oh well, live and learn, right!?
Photos and Styling: The Artful Desperado