*Starts playing Olivia Newton John* Let’s get kimchical, kimchical, let’s get kimchicaaal, let me hear your radish talk.
I know, I’m so getting a grammy for this gig. While that happens, you want to make some super easy super quick kimchi pickled radishes? (or anything kimchi pickled for that matter). Ok, then hop ova to ma kitchen!
Quick Kimchi Pickled Radishes
Makes about 1L container
- 1 pound of radishes, washed, trimmed, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons of sea salt
- 2 tablespoons of sugar
- 3 tablespoons of garlic chili paste (sambal oelek)
- 1 tablespoon of finely chopped ginger
- 3 garlic cloves, super chopped (if you love garlic add a couple more!)
- 3 shallot bulbs finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon of sesame oil
- 4 tablespoons of rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon of chilli flakes (ay! it’s calienteeee)
- 1 cup of water
- 1L Mason jar or pickling can
1. Wash the mason jar/can thoroughly. Set aside.
2. Prepare marinade (pickling liquid) by combining all ingredients in a jug
3. Place sliced radishes in the jar and pour the marinate and all its contents
4. Close the jar and gently shake so that it mixes well
5. If there’s not enough liquid, just add a bit more water with a pinch of salt and shake again.
6. Let is sit in the fridge for a couple days and bada boom chin chin it’s done!
These radishes are super yummy on salads and in sandwiches – they add this tangy, spicy layer of awesome that’s kind of addictive.
NOTE: You can substitute the radishes for any other veggie like cabbage, cucumber, or carrots!
Enjoyyy and get kimchical!
Photos and styling: The Artful Desperado